07 December 2011

I've been reading...

"Kent and Allan also looked as if they were enjoying themselves. Neither one was grinning, no high fives or anything, but - you could tell - they knew they were doing well, and their expressions and their postures spoke in a cant of confidence and competence. They'd worked for this moment for a long time, even before they ever knew they'd be there.

And in that small realization, that tiny truism, I started sensing something gigantic...

To the right of them, the previous team cleaned up. To their left, another team continued to cook and began to put up their platter. With the motion stilled in the EMP kitchen, momentum and purpose were hanging like phantoms in the air. In a moment they'd dissipate like a scent.

I was thinking again of what I thought before: They've worked for this moment for a long time, even before they ever knew they'd be here....

What I'd just seen was a philosophy of life in action. Two guys - two kids - who one day decided they would be excellent; who disciplined themselves, learned everything they could, practiced aggressively, and moved their thinking onto a whole other plane. They might have been musicians; they might have been dancers. In their case, it was about food. And they recognized that at each stage - from the second they set out their equipment through the moment they do their prep to the final assemblage - that there is a best possible way to do everything. Every gesture, no matter how small, was about the individual attempting to be great.

What those guys did - what they do - is attainable. You'll wind up bleeding to get there, but you can get there. But not me, at least not with the bruises and slights of how I think about myself, with all my hesitations, my timidity, my half-assed methodology of doing what was expected of me but little more...

I had gotten to see greatness today."

Beaten, Sauced and Seared by Jonathan Dixon


No comments:


"Before you can blame an individual for their choices, you have to make sure they have the same choices as everyone else."

Bix , the fanatic cook.