06 October 2011

I've been reading...

"Leah unfastened an evening purse that had belonged to Shyla and took out a tube of lipstick. She pursed her lips and expertly applied the lipstick to her curving pretty bottom lip...this gesture of Leah's, this application of lipstick in all its simplicity and innocence, I realized, was one of the first of those un-recallable milestones passed by every child in her inexorable passage out of her parents' lives. Her body was a timepiece and Leah, not I, was its contented owner.

Lucy walked straight into this rite of passage and said loudly, 'Oh no you don't, young lady.'

She marched over to the mirror and took the lipstick out of Leah's hand...

Leah looked up at me in astonishment and I realized that she had never been treated like this in her life. I had never been anything but quietly insistent when we discussed some issue of importance between us. Leah knew very little about the natural humiliation of being a child and how grown people regularly trample on the feelings of the little people so helpless under their care....

'I'm going into the living room, Mama,' I said and I heard the coldness in my voice. "And I'm going to tell Leah that she looks lovely and what she's wearing is fine. You just gave me a small glimpse of why I hate America and why I always felt ugly as a child.' "

Beach Music, by Pat Conroy


No comments:


"Before you can blame an individual for their choices, you have to make sure they have the same choices as everyone else."

Bix , the fanatic cook.