08 March 2011

I've been reading...

"The Song of the Lark", by Willa Cather

"Thea went down to the stream by the Indian water-trail. She had found a bathing-pool with a sand bottom, where the creek was dammed by fallen trees. The climb back was long and steep, and when she reached her little house in the cliff, she always felt fresh delight in its comfort and inaccessibility. By the time she got there, the woolly red-and-grey blankets were saturated with sunlight, and she sometimes fell asleep as soon as she stretched her body on their warm surfaces. She used to wonder at her own inactivity. She could lie there hour after hour in the sun and listen to the strident whirr of the big locusts, and to the light, ironical laugher of the quaking aspens. All her life she had been hurrying and sputtering, as if she had been born behind time and had been trying to catch up. Now, she reflected, as she drew herself out long upon the rugs, it was as if she were waiting for something to catch up with her. She had got to a place where she was out of the stream of meaningless activity and undirected effort. "

The West is where all the wasted minutes are stored, and redistributed to those in need...

PBS created a film based on this book.

4 comments:

kaye said...

She could lie there hour after hour in the sun and listen to the strident whirr of the big locusts, and to the light, ironical laugher of the quaking aspens.--I love that sentence. Sounds like a beautiful book. I'll check into it.

virginia said...

Every time I head to NM, I dust off
"Death comes to the Archbishop", also by Willa Cather. I loved "My Antonia", too.

I think you will enjoy all of her books - she understands "the call of the West", and I would read her when I was feeling homesick.

I'm only now understanding why so many are drawn to the sea - that sound is almost as comforting as "quaking aspens".

marymurtz.com said...

I have that on my reading list. I'm going to give Cather a second chance now that I'm old enough to appreciate her. I tried in high school, but that's way too young to understand her nuances.

virginia said...

I read "Archbishop" because I was curious about Bishop's Lodge Road, which is a road in Santa Fe. I was hooked after that...


"Before you can blame an individual for their choices, you have to make sure they have the same choices as everyone else."

Bix , the fanatic cook.