19 July 2009

"I don't know why we can't keep Eugene. I don't know why they have to send him away with that man who puts his pint on the white coffin. I don't know why they had to send Margaret away and Oliver. It is a bad thing to put my sister and my brothers in a box and I wish I could say something to someone...

It's a long walk from the graveyard to our room. Mam tells Dad, These children need some nourishment and you have money left from the dole this morning. If you're thinking of going to the pubs tonight you can forget it. We're taking them to Naughton's and they can have fish and chips and lemonade for 'tisn't every day they bury a brother."

Frank McCourt 1931-2009 (excerpt from Angela's Ashes)

good night frank, "good night moon", and good night babies taken away too soon.

2 comments:

Ad Broad, oldest working writer in advertising said...

I'm mourning his loss, too. Virginia. Thanks for the excerpt, one of his many beautifully rendered memories.

Great blog, btw. I'll be back :)

virginia said...

i probably purchased a dozen copies of "angela's ashes", and gave them as gifts.


"Before you can blame an individual for their choices, you have to make sure they have the same choices as everyone else."

Bix , the fanatic cook.